Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Photos

Luis with the eggs he found

I haven't missed out on dyeing easter eggs any easter in my memory. Certainly we've done it every year since Rowan was born nineteen years ago. I wasn't about to miss it this year, either, even though there is no tradition of dyeing eggs here. Nobody really even knew what I was talking about, my sister-in-law thought I meant painting eggs with acrylic paints. We almost had to; I couldn't find any egg dye anywhere. Digging around in all the drawers, I found blue and green food coloring. The internet provided recipes for red (beets) and yellow (turmeric).

Paloma and the neighbors dyeing eggs


Hope and her love-egg

The girls invited their cousins and the neighbor kids over to dye eggs too, and they all enjoyed it thoroughly. After all the eggs were dyed and dried, we had a quick egg-hunt. The kids liked hunting eggs so much that we hid them again. The eggs themselves served as the prize - try THAT on your American kids next year!

Tonight we are having an Easter dinner - also not a tradition here, but I wanted to cook one. I had no luck finding a ham, or a roast of lamb, which would have been my first choices. Mama wanted a turkey, but I couldn't find one of those either. I settled for a fresh ham - basically an enormous pork roast. I marinated it in chipotle chile, garlic, cumin, and orange juice and then seared it all over and put it in a slow oven for three hours. It was delicious.




3 comments:

  1. I love pork roast. I like it ever so much more than ham. Your recipe sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her Eggselency, the Easter Hambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I couldn't explain to my American friends yesterday why Easter eggs weren't a part of Mexican tradition.

    Now is when the heat starts, girl. You can just turn off that water heater from now until June and revel in refreshing cold showers. May is absolutely intolerable but last year the rainy season started earlier so... vamos a ver.

    ReplyDelete