Monday, November 19, 2012

Walls (Photos)


Walls have a very important place in Mexican life, and I think, from what I have gathered, that they always have. The enclosed courtyard was a feature of Spanish (and before that, Moorish) architecture  and was handed down to colonial Mexico, of course, but I am looking into the meaning and importance of walls and private spaces in pre-hispanic life as well. 

On a purely aesthetic note, I find the walls of Oaxaca to be extremely beautiful, whether carefully catalogued and tended or gorgeously neglected. I especially like to take pictures of saints and icons set into the walls of public buildings: 


San Fransisco, I think


Jesus, in a gorgeous royal blue niche.

I love the archeological layers revealed by an ancient wall's weathering... This wall has lost it's stucco and reveals brick and stone underpinning. It is a parking garage.


Homero in front of a cliff wall painted with petrogylphs near his home village of Santa Maria Intundujia.



A catalogued wall downtown, losing its stucco. 


A wall made of cantera, with bricked up windows. 



A close up of an interior wall in Mitla, prehispanic site near Oaxaca. This was a priestly habitation, and the walls are of mosaic.



1 comment:

  1. I love the walls without the plaster covering, I can't understand why they cover up the rustic beauty of the brickwork.
    As for the mosaic wall....stunning !
    I like to ponder about who built these places, I always stop at old buildings and let my imagination loose, visualising the builders hard at work.

    ReplyDelete